"Why?" you may ask.
Well, growing up, I was not allowed to:
- Wear too much makeup
- Go to the mall if I were going to wear pants rather than a skirt
- Listen to Christian contemporary music--including Sandi Patti, who was too flashy
- Wear jeans to church on Sunday nights--or Wednesday nights
- Use playing cards
- Eat my sandwiches uncut, "like a truck driver"
- Watch "The Dukes of Hazard", "The A-Team", or "M*A*S*H"
Smirking, I challenged him, "Get Dad on the phone"! (Dad was in Nashville where my baby sister lives. She's not such a baby anymore. In fact, she just had her first little baby this past week!) So, Evan whips out his cell-phone (Yeah, I don't think I would have been allowed to have one of those, either) and puts Dad on speaker-phone: sure enough; Permission granted.
So I complied.
I cut his hair.
I also think it is worth mentioning that he went to school like this. And you know who helped him get his hair to stay up this morning?
( sound of me humming Twilight Zone music)
Oh, but Mom has a twinge of guilt. She drove Evan to the bus stop and picked him up today so that the neighbors wouldn't see...